After more than a decade, I've got my hands back at building a website for someone else -- a CrossFit gym. Lots of new and old experience and learning along the way.
A little tip from implementing a set of stacked headers of varying height.
Recently, I've been working to adopt our PC app onto tablets for acceptable user experience. There are two main challenges that I've encountered, one is regarding how to scale such a complex app to fit a smaller screen securely; the other is discussed here, some thoughts about gestures on tablets because of the implied differences in how users interact with the tablets.
I've followed up a relevant topic later on about on focus indicator. When put together, both are about how users interact with the app and its intermediate state. And it's nice to find a simple solution that address the situation properly, including hovering, focus, gesture on tablets, and accessibility for keyboard users.
I'm a pure blob over the holidays these days, so I decided to make something blobby on my profile site.
Device detection is hard but sometimes necessary – user agent strings are not reliable and difficult to parse. There's more rant than solution in this post.
Recently I ran into this website Violins and Violinists and I immediately fell in love with its design, layout, and interactions. So I try to replicate the UI on my site for my hobby playing the viola - wei and her viola.
After 4 years, we have a well-established web app to serve our PC users. In a recent and a rather late attempt to consider our tablet users, I realize that it's not an easy fix if we want to take the shortcut and re-use our PC app. Turns out, it wasn't trivial at all to fit a complex PC site to a just-a-little-bit-smaller tablet screen, even without considering all the gestures yet.
Today marks the 4th year anniversary of my working full time as a front end developer. Before this, I've never done anything consistently past two years other than my college major. I also find some interesting alignment with a college life so here's a personal chronicle.
This week, one project I worked on involved recreating a doc site inside Ant Design's repo using its existing docs. Ant Design already has a doc site, building on top of which is a default option on the table. But I was also given the freedom to explore other options and so I've taken the liberty of diving into Docusaurus.
A little CSS-based dark mode toggle idea that went viral.